For Christmas Serbrina got me a Vest kit from Thru-Hiker.com. My friend Erik from 1gear1cause.org turned me onto them. They sell kits similar to Ray Jardine.com, and there is a forum to talk to other people about making your own gear. Pretty cool.
This was my first attempt at making some gear to wear. The kit is a project for a beginner, but it was a littler tougher than I thought. The shell fabric is very slippery so it makes it tough to keep the multiple layers aligned some times. It came out a little rough, but I learned tons. I think I’m going to make a second one soon, maybe one with more fill for colder temps. Here’s some pics.
Starting out by cutting out the patterns. I have 3 layers stacked. The shell, liner and loft. I used a rotary cutter to make it easy to cut out all the layers at the same time.
Sewing the fill to the liner.
Sewing the liner back and two inner sides to each other. At this point it started to look like a vest.
The shell and liners are now sewn together. At this point the armholes still have to be sewn together.
As you can see in the above picture the two sides did not remain symmetrical. I think I changed the shape of the armholes early in the process and that resulted in one side being shorter than the other. That meant that the zipper fit right on one side, but is too long on the other side. It’s only a cosmetic issue though and the vest works fine no matter what. I’m excited to try a second one and use what I’ve learned on this one.